This just in. Dorothy Lee Barnett plead guilty will receive a 21 Month Prison Sentence and 2 years supervised release. Here is what we know so far:
- Barnett’s plea was heard, and sentence was imposed, by United States District Court Judge Richard M. Gergel. The International Parental Kidnapping count carried up to three years’ imprisonment under 18 U.S.C. § 1204 and each of the False Statement charges carried up to ten years’ imprisonment under 18 U.S.C. § 1542.
- Savanna Todd / Samantha Geldenhuys spoke on her behalf. She said, “I was loved beyond belief.” She also spoke of her reunion with her father, “It was an experience I cannot describe in words.” (Editors Note: WOW!)
- The Judge said, “It is important that others be deterred from essentially taking the law into their own hands.”
- Barnett was charged with International Parental Kidnapping and falsifying two passport applications. We don’t know what felony crimes she plead guilty to.
- It doesn’t sound like Dorothy Lee Barnett made a statement with an apology to the victims. She let her daughter do the talking.(Note: That disappoints us)
- Harris Todd’s Attorney, Graham Sturgis said, “He recognizes the need to love her mother,” Sturgis said. “Very few of us will ever know the experience of having lost a child. … No punishment will ever make good the loss that Mr. Todd has suffered.” (Note: We agree with Graham!)
- We don’t know what the conditions were for her 2 years supervised release. Although in a supervised release, that would usually means she would have to reside in the county.
- We don’t know if the judge ordered restitution paid to the victim Father.