Hearing Scheduled for Tuesday February 10, 2015
Will Lee Apologize to Harris Todd, the Australian People, her daughter?
To Plead Guilty
It is being widely reported that accused parental kidnapper Dorothy Lee Barnett “Lee” is scheduled to plead guilty in a Charleston, South Carolina, USA Courthouse on Tuesday, February 10, 2015. The terms of the plea bargain are not yet known.
Editors Note: We sincerely hope that Lee Barnett issues a public apology to Harris Todd and his family. He rightfully deserves that! This Searching Parent has been through so much as a victim of a parental kidnapping. The sleepless nights, that feeling of not knowing where Savanna was, and most importantly the disparaging and unproven allegations against him. In the words of Dale Carnegie, “If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.” It took Lee many years to arrive at that decision, but the most important thing is that she did. This will not only save both families of the pain of a grueling trial, but is the first step toward allowing everyone to move forward in their lives.
There have been great strides in the ’80s and ’90s to improve our nation’s family court and child protective services systems. There are many hard working professionals that are helping to ensure children and parents rights are protected in these cases. Both Parental Kidnapping and United States Passport Forgery are very serious crimes and there should never be any legal excuses. We hope that the judge ensures that Dorothy Lee Barnett is being held accountable. There have been efforts by some proclaimed child protection advocates and attorneys to try make parental kidnapping a legal alternative. We hope the sentencing in this case will help to deter others from committing these crimes.
We will wait and see what happens on Tuesday.
The following comment was posted by Lorraine. We agree her.
Editor, not only would it be hoped that this woman issues a long overdue public apology to Harris Todd and his family, but also an apology to:
* the Australian people who were expected to accept as gospel whatever nonsense this woman or her supporters spewed forth, particularly about Harris Todd.
* the Australian taxpayers who were obliged to wear the financial burden of this woman’s numerous extradition challenges – a wanted woman on the run who falsely entered and falsely lived in Australia.
* to the gullible who generously donated money to this woman’s legal fees through GoFundMe “Funds for Justice: Dorothy L Barnett” – more fool them for allowing themselves to be separated from their money for a person who apparently is finally going to plead guilty.
Apologies to Harris Todd and his family surely must also be forthcoming from:
* Channel 7’s Today Tonight current affairs program for their trashy reporting of this matter. Thankfully, the program has now been axed in Queensland.
* The Federal Member for Fisher, Mal Brough. Who can forget his very public backing of this woman, a non-Australian citizen on false documents – “I don’t believe justice was served by anybody 20 years ago and I’m certainly not going to see it repeated”. Or, pardon his appalling and very public boast, “She has been terribly wronged and I can’t leave a friend sitting in jail without giving it a darned good go to get her out of jail”. Remember his blurt, “There’s one thing that’s crystal clear to me, that the judge, in hindsight, back in America, was 100 percent wrong” and “By all means I’ll fight for this family”. “I will make sure the attorney general is well aware of every aspect of this to the best of my ability”. Gee, Mal, egg on your face yet again. Mal’s public office history is such that I don’t think he ever gets to wipe egg off his face.
* The bud set – remember, “The story of Dorothy Lee Barnett (Alex Geldenhuys) is about to unfold.” Also remember, “For 20 years, her friends in the US have stored in wardrobes, cupboards, basements and attics, the evidence, affidavits, and transcripts relating to the trial. These documents, all on the public record and (should be) held by the father’s attorneys have become available to Alex to finally set the record straight.”
Now I read Dorothy Lee Barnett is about to set the record straight with a guilty plea.
The Post and Courier